The thing about being so close, when you're in the military, to people that you fiercely love, is that you will likely be apart again. Soon.
My sister and her family left on their next adventure last weekend. I assure you - it promises to be an amazing adventure (one that I will be visiting - you betch-your passport, folks.) But it doesn't make my immediate adventure (yes, right now in this moment of writing, it is all about me and my adventure. I'm the kid sister, after all. I'm allowed. Just this once.) have much enhanced fun.
Surely, you're well versed in the silliness, gut-busting fun we had over the year that we had during the joy of living literally down the street from each other.
The worst part of not being able to just dash down the street, or swing by to hang out, or have one of my nieces or nephews knock on the door (or just open it) are the reminders.
Like:
Every time we see a van that is the same color, make, and model of my sister's car, Nate exuberantly points it out saying, "Look, it's Seth!"
When we pass the track (which is multiple times a day. It's across the street from our house), Nate shouts "Go, Seth go!" remembering seeing Seth run around the track during a fun run earlier this spring.
(If you're noticing a trend here, you're right. Nate thinks Seth is pretty awesome. A rock star in the eyes of a two year old.)
Out of habit, when I drive on base I glance to the left, just to see if they are home.
On my way to the grocery store, my fingers hesitate over my phone, knowing that I don't need to text her to see if she needs anything - since I'm already going.
Thinking about our weekend plans or weeknight night (or day plans!), it's tough not to think about considering them in our plans.
When Nate is bored, he often says "I want to see... " and then lists off all the kids names.
This is a glimpse at what we're missing these days:


Awwww......I can imagine! That's how it's been for me this last year after being 5 miles away from my mom for the last five years. BUT, the good news is that we're moving back to Virginia in December and we'll be really close to Todd and just 3 hours from Mom and Jake!
ReplyDeleteYou two never miss an opportunity to make the most of each moment. what a sweet year it has been for both of you and for all the cousins to have this precious time together. I know that true to the Woodrow/Markowski/Gause way ..you will be flying from one end of the country to the other to make more memories together.
ReplyDeleteso glad we got to peek in on all the special moments you two have had together this past year....it went way too fast!
ReplyDelete