I had to call 911 last week. For our sweet Brooke.
In her ever ambitious and super capable way, she was climbing up on the couch, lost her footing, slipped back and hit her forehead on the edge of the coffee table.
I assure you: there was blood everywhere.
Her wail was instantaneous, and my shock and horror was too.
Nate's eyes were as big as saucers and he kept saying "Oh my, Brooke made a big mess!"
My attempts to stop the bleeding seemed feeble. And my panic rose as quickly as her shrieks. Frantically, I called Greg who was studying. He sprinted home (a noble feat considering he was dressed in his uniform, complete with boots and a hefty backpack of books) - but it felt like he was crawling home.
So, I called 911. And with in minutes (actually, they came to the door literally 30 seconds after Greg got home), EMTs arrived. A crew of big burly men, who were so sweet and tender to calm my nerves and get the bleeding to subside.
Brooke and I rode in the ambulance to the hospital, and Greg and Nate followed in the car.
The doctor gave our little love 8 stitches on her forehead, above her left eye brow.
She's a trooper, and has bounced back miraculously. (Greg and I on the other hand are maybe just now officially recovered. Though, when a toy falls - I still jump to look at what the clatter was...) She's running and climbing and insisting on playing with toys just as much as before. A child's resilience is amazing.
Today, our (super awesome) pediatrician took her stitches out, and her little face looks so much happier! Onward to vitamin E oil and sunscreen to make sure she doesn't get a huge scar.
Oh My! That is a parents nightmare to see their child hurt. Glad that everything turned out OK and she is her sweet, busy little girl again. Megan and Josh went through that when Isabelle knocked her tooth out on the coffee table - lots of blood and tears but she recovered much faster than mommy and daddy. Love and hugs to all.
ReplyDeleteAunt Ruth